Weaving together a fundraiser

The+schools+One+Thread+club+looks+to+repurpose+old+materials+by+making+bracelets.+The+club+will+be+hosting+its+first+ever+fundraiser+and+will+be+seeling+bracelets+during+lunches+until+Friday.+

@onethreadofficial

The school’s One Thread club looks to repurpose old materials by making bracelets. The club will be hosting its first ever fundraiser and will be seeling bracelets during lunches until Friday.

Abby Wang, Guest Contributor

One Thread, a campus club designed to repurpose and reduce textile waste, is having its first fundraiser by selling hand-made “One Thread” bracelets at all lunches through Friday.

“We needed to find a way to repurpose the scraps that we were producing, because we are all about “no waste”, especially with the textile waste- when creating our quilts,” club president Ayda Sow said via email. “We still have to trim away some ends and with those trimmings, we didn’t want to throw them away. We bought embroidering floss and I thought it was a very cute, very easy way to make bracelets and make a fundraiser and sell them for a very convenient and affordable price for our high school students to support One Thread.”

Proceeds from the fundraiser will help the club with the basic supply costs that go towards the quilt making as well as bringing awareness to what One Thread is doing.

“I think it’s a really good idea and a great first step in helping those in need,” sophomore Gabi Ngyuen said via text. “It helps reduce waste and allows anyone and everyone to give back to others in an easy and affordable way.”

Students are able to support One Thread through various ways including making donations in the form of clothing/fabric or attending regular meetings every Thursday after school.

“You can support us by buying the bracelets, wearing the bracelets, and spreading the word about One Thread and our mission and goals amongst our student body, “ Sow said. “The biggest impact someone can have is coming to the meetings, being an active member, giving donations that can be clothes that you don’t need, other textile fabric or material that you don’t need -so that we can use them for the quilt, you can also donate money. We’d love to accept all donations you have, and with the clothes you donate, you can get volunteer hours.”