Self led project guides students to Asia

Abby Wang and Sydney Bishop

World Geography classes are currently studying Far East Asia, and to further delve into its many cultures, the students are assigned a self-guided project over an Asian country of their choosing due Wednesday.

“The project is a way for them to explore Asian culture but also feel free to express the information that they find in whatever way they feel like they excel most in,” World Geography teacher Kenneth Schiumo said. “It really appeals to the different styles of learning. It’s really great for kids that want to expand what they do as far as presentations go.”

There are nine options for how the students can portray the project from skits to models of cultural artifacts. Students may also create an original idea and get it cleared by their teacher.

“I am making a poster or a brochure to show the beauty of the Philippines,” sophomore Drew Julao said via text. “Because I was born and raised there, I have visited many of the provinces with their beautiful beaches and amazing landmarks.”

This project is an opportunity for students to be as creative as possible.

“I like it because it gives people a chance to show off what they can do and not restricted to a certain product,” freshman Abby Carney said. “It gives you more freedom to do what you want and what you like.”

Students are given an opportunity to earn extra points through an added presentation feature.

“They can either make a dish or dress up in the traditional outfit of their country’s culture,” World Geography teacher James Lane said. “It’s just a fun thing to do that kids really get into. It’s good to come in and eat, dress up, some people like to tell the story of why they dressed the way they did so it adds a little bonus.”

Self-directed projects bring out skills in students that teachers may not have seen all year.

“As a teacher, sometimes what we know about a kid is only at face value, so we don’t really see the deeper qualities that each student has,” Schiumo said. “There are kids who have been playing violin since they were six years old, something you really don’t know when a kid is sitting in front of you. So it’s nice to know their interests and that they are free to express that in class. It helps us get to know them better and when we get to know them better we can teach them better.”