Seven months in the making, parent-teacher orchestra debuts Wednesday

Kennedy Williams

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Student musicians are usually the focus of an orchestra concert, but at Wednesday’s spring concert starting at 7 p.m. in the auditorium, the parent-teacher orchestra may steal the spotlight.

“It will be the first thing that will be in our concert,” assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien said. “A couple of the parents and the teachers will be playing alongside their students. Some of them are playing similar instruments, some of them are playing different instruments. For example, we have one bass student and his dad is playing the viola. We also have some teachers playing so that you’re pulling some of the same students to play with them as well. So they have a student to play with them.”

Practicing since September, the parents, teachers, and staff members are taking Wednesday’s performance seriously.

“We learned the music and then we go home and we play the music that we learn,” campus aide Ken Budz said. “Violin is very hard so you have to practice, practice, practice.”

Taking inspiration from Plano Senior High School, the parent-teacher orchestra is a labor of love, seven months in the making for Lien.

“It’s been really rewarding,” she said. “It’s late nights, obviously, because we start at 6:30. And then we go sometimes until 7:30, sometimes until later because people have questions or people stay around and talk. But honestly, it’s one of those things that it’s really rewarding because even though it’s a long day, you feel refreshed and re energized by their enthusiasm and by how much they’re improving each and every time and you can definitely tell that they’re appreciative of it as well.”