Band swings into annual performance

While most classes are starting to wind down with only two weeks of school left, band keeps working for their annual Spring Swing event to take place Saturday, May 18, 2019. The event will work both as a performance and fundraiser for the group.

Ava Peinhardt, Guest Contributor

Though the end of the year is around the corner, the band program is still at work for its annual Spring Swing, Saturday from 6-9 p.m.

The event serves as both a fundraiser and a performance opportunity, but things are slightly different than they would be for any other concert.

“Spring Swing’s main feature is a silent auction,” sophomore Anastasiya Liakouskaya said. “[Students in band] put together these little baskets with stuff like movie tickets, restaurant coupons, stuff like that, and people can bid on them online.”

Additionally, students are charged with forming ensemble groups to perform a variety of pieces instead of the two or three songs played in a usual band setting.

“It was up to us to find pieces we could perform as a group, and to find time to practice it too,” sophomore Alexandra Stiles said. “I actually prefer Spring Swing to some of our other concerts because we get to choose what to play, so it could be something fun like the theme from Avengers or something.”

However, finding time to practice ensembles during one of the busiest times of the year can be stressful for some students.

“With all the AP tests and projects happening right now, it can be a bit hard to get together with the people in your ensemble,” Liakouskaya said. “A lot of the time, we have to meet before or after school to really get familiar with the piece.”

As the year continues to wind down, Spring Swing marks one of the last band events of the year, and for seniors not continuing band in college as well.

“I guess it’s kind of nice to end the year on a mellow note,” senior Jessica Bemis said. “Spring Swing isn’t as high stakes as something like UIL but it’s still something you have to work on.”