Students share secrets

The confessions of students will be posted in the rotunda as a way for students to anonymously share the secrets they do not want to share publicly.

Olivia Kirklin

The “confessions” of students will be posted in the rotunda as a way for students to anonymously share the secrets they do not want to share publicly.

Olivia Kirklin, Staff Reporter

In everyday conversation, it can be difficult to initiate discussion about personal matters. But this week, yearbook is bringing back the program called Redhawks Confess that allows students to do that in a secretive way.

“The idea began when we saw students leaving sticky notes around the school with words of encouragement,” Co-Coordinator Sydney Moch said.

The need for support within the student body led the yearbook staff to collaborate with the counseling department to form “Confessions.”

“Now the idea is that students can write down a confession or secret on a notecard,” Moch said. “We will hang them in the rotunda to give students ideas to relate to.”

The notecards are done anonymously in English classes so that students can dive into personal topics that are generally avoided in discussion.

“The notecards can involve topics such as depression, or anxiety,” Moch said. “By hanging them around, it helps students to know that they aren’t alone in what they’re going through.”

The program began in 2013 and has since left an impact on the student body.

“As students get older I see them become more aware of those around them and be less isolated and in their own world,” English teacher Chad Doty said. “Doing this helps students to better mature and understand what their peers are going through and helps them to be more sympathetic.”

The program is not only ongoing, but unique to the campus.
“I strongly believe all schools should be doing this,” junior Paige Guerra said. “It really makes us aware of the things we all go through, and makes you rethink how you should be treating others.”