Teachers assign homework over break

Seemingly counterintuitive, students work productively over holiday break.

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

The Frisco ISD semester schedule has two major breaks (Thanksgiving and winter break) in the first semester. The two breaks in the middle of the third grading period make it almost inevitable that homework will be assigned over vacation.

“Sometimes it depends on the nature of the situation,” social studies teacher Julia Rutherford said. “If it lends itself that I don’t have to that great, but sometimes, especially in AP courses, if we have to get in a certain point for the test, I can’t afford to lose time. I have to teach ten thousand years and the entire globe situation. I try not to if possible.”

Assigning homework over break is something many teachers try to avoid.

“I try not to give homework over break because I feel like the students need a break,” art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “They spend a lot of late nights and they need their rest and it’s time to refresh and regenerate and it’s a good time for them to explore on their own somethings they may be curious about and not under my direction. I believe families plan travel time and time together over the holidays and I think that’s just as important as homework and their studies. It adds to the well roundedness of the students learning.”

While some teachers try not to give homework over the break, for some students it’s a reality that can’t be escaped.

“I had a lot of homework. I had to practice for harp and also I had a project to do for GT and I had some art projects that I had to do,” freshman Kayla Quilantang said. “I know it’s the norm now because it’s best to get  as much work done as you can but it’d be best if they let the break actually be a break. I think a break is supposed to beneficial in that we have a chance to relax from all the school work.”