Band hopes to advance in the UIL Area competition

The+band+has+been+preparing+all+season%2C+to+perform+at+their+UIL+competition+this+Saturday.+The+band+hopes+to+showcase+their+cumulative+effort+throughout+the+year%2C+and+hopefully+make+their+way+to+state.+

Sarah Boutouis

The band has been preparing all season, to perform at their UIL competition this Saturday. The band hopes to showcase their cumulative effort throughout the year, and hopefully make their way to state.

Abby Wang, Staff Reporter

Band’s journey towards state continues on Saturday as they take part in the UIL Area B competition on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in Little Elm with the Redhawks aiming for a spot in the finals and a possible state position.

“We have been consistent finalists in the past several years, but have always come up short with advancing to the state level,” associate band director Zack Anderson said. “We are hoping that with the level of preparation we have this year, the show design, the concept, and work ethic, [this] will take us to the next level.”

On Saturday, 10 out of the 20 to 25 bands that participate in preliminaries will be chosen to perform their show once more in finals. From those 10, four more will have the opportunity to compete at the state level in San Antonio on Nov. 4-Nov. 6.

“At our rehearsals we’ve been practicing really hard,” clarinetist, junior Karina Shin said. “We’ve been focusing and working on our awareness and consistency.”

For this season’s marching show, Cloud 9, band director Jamie Weaver often says that the show has “legs to run” in terms of success.

“It will be a great performance,” Weaver said. “It’s a better product, it’s a better group, it’s a better approach, and it’s more exciting.”

As the students prepare physically during after school rehearsals, directors emphasize the importance of mental preparation as well.

“Put yourself in a performance mentality,” color guard director Scott Mills said. “Whatever you’re going to be thinking, trying to emulate that as much as you can when practicing. As long as we go out and have a solid run, there is no reason why we don’t have the potential to succeed.”