Redhawk wrestlers tackle Trinity Trojan Classic

The Redhawks are gearing up to compete in their last home meet of the season against Centennial and Lebanon Trail High Schools. The athletes will take the mat on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. at the Nest.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

With only two more tournaments left in the season before district competition begins, wrestling heads to the Euless Trinity Trojan Classic at Trinity High School Friday and Saturday, with girls starting at 8:00 a.m. and the boys taking to the mat at 9:00 a.m. 

“Trinity is another step in the process as we gradually amp it,” head coach Cody Birdwell said. “We’ve had Santa Slam, then Grapevine Duals and the Independence Tournament, and now Trinity is a 64 man bracket tournament, it’s enormous.” 

Bridwell expects some heavy competition for the weekend, and believes the turn out could be an indication of bigger things to come. 

“There are five out of state teams that will be there, so we’ll see a lot of great competition,” Bridwell said. “If you can place top five at Trinity, chances are you’re going to be top three in the state.” 

Ready for one of the biggest tournaments of the season, senior captain Tristan Seals is looking forward to the challenges the tournament will bring. 

“I am excited for Trinity this weekend because the tournament is tougher than last year,” Seals said. “Before, it was a 32 man bracket, now it’s a 62 man bracket, so I know it’s going to be a lot tougher, but I think our team will prevail through.”