Redhawks face new opponents after UIL realignment

Sarah Boutouis

The football team head to The Ford Center Thursday night, to take on the Trail Blazers. The team looks to secure their playoff spot with a win.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

All ten high schools within Frisco ISD are experiencing changes after the new UIL district realignment announced on Monday with the Redhawks now in 7-5A Division II for 2020-2022, along with Frisco, Lebanon Trail, Memorial, Denison, Lake Dallas, Lovejoy, Princeton, and Prosper Rock Hill.

“As far as the schedule all we really know is that we have different opponents,” head football coach Matt Swinnea said. “In a nine team district it means we get district opponents, only three of which are Frisco ISD. One of the things that is new is the new opponents and we haven’t played anybody that’s on the schedule. The last ones from Frisco ISD we played were back in 2017.”

Taking a positive look at the realignment is football and baseball player, junior Will Glatch.

“This change is going to help us tremendously,” Glatch said. “The 5A D1 district is full of talent and great teams such as Lone Star and The Colony, and Denton Ryan. However I’m disappointed that we can’t compete against some of the top teams in the state, but with the numbers that we have on our football team I feel like we will be a lot more competitive against the teams.”

From a fans perspective, being in a district with brand new teams, faces, and locations will affect student sections from across the metroplex.

“We will have to be more prepared and aware of where the new game locations will be,” junior Ellie Dennen said. “Also I feel like the further the game is away there won’t be as live of a student section in the stands.”

Sophomore Kamryn Smith predicts a playoff run and the chance of improving off of 2019’s 1-9 record.

“Being in a new district will help us build a lot of confidence against the teams we will be going against this year,” Smith said. “It’s going to be a lot of opportunities for us to win games and ultimately make the playoffs.”

Faced with a lack of familiarity with most of the teams in 7-5A, Swinnea believes the realignment will strengthen the Redhawk football program.

“I think the benefit at least the positives is there is newness in the sense that we are playing new people,” Swinnea said. “You think about you’re going to possibly five different new locations, new towns, there’s travel ball, and new game day environments. It’s just new and exciting.”