Virtual book club connects readers across the district

Melody Tavallaee

With schools and libraries in FISD closes, the Virtual Insanity Book Club is now available via Zoom. Hosting its’ first meeting at noon, the group looks to organize readers, and provide a social outlet for students across the district.

Caroline Caruso, Guest Contributor

Students on campus and throughout the district will be able to take part in a district-wide opportunity starting Thursday as The Virtual Insanity Book Club is launching with a Zoom call starting at noon. 

For campus Librarian Chelsea Hamilton, the meetings are a new and inventive way to reach out to readers during this time, and are a great chance for everyone to socialize with others outside of their regular campus.

With school moving online, we’re missing that face-to-face time,” Hamilton said. “I know I personally miss students recommending their favorite books to me, and I miss doing the same. It can also work as a great way for students and staff to decompress, de-stress, and just talk with like minded book folk. Books are a great way to escape real-world stressors and anxiety, and who doesn’t need that at the present moment?”

If the idea is successful, Hamilton hopes the book club will continue to expand and ultimately reach more members. 

“We’re hoping to expand it as time goes on, especially since we’re also utilizing Canvas,” Hamilton said. “We can do smaller breakouts and discussions- action and adventure, dystopian, fantasy, romance. Everyone has their genre of choice! We want this to get as big as it can get and for all of the book lovers of FISD to spread their love of reading.”