Womble, Mokler leave the Nest

Remi Williams, Staff Reporter

The girls’ athletic department is undergoing some major changes as head volleyball coach  U’ilani Womble and head soccer coach Liz Mokler have both announced they are leaving the school to pursue new opportunities. 

My family and I have had to re-evaluate our priorities,” Mokler said. “We are trying to change our pace and way of life and move out to the country. It’s been a very difficult decision, but after much discussion, this is the direction we feel called to pursue.”

For junior Anna Clerkin, Mokler’s departure isn’t going to stop the players from staying connected as a team.

I am sad that she left,” Clerkin said. “She has been my coach for my entire high school career, but I hope the move is good for her and her family. For next year this means that we will have to adjust to a new coach, but we are still a unit as a team and will work hard to make the playoffs next year.”

Speaking at a college signing event in the library this fall, head volleyball coach U’ilani Womble led the team to the playoffs and a perfect district record this season.

Womble’s decision to leave The Nest is also a family one, but she won’t be going far.

“The Wakeland Volleyball coach is retiring and they reached out to me,” Womble said. “My husband is an athletic trainer at Wakeland, so the opportunity to be on the same campus and then also for our kids to be in the feeder system was too hard to pass up.”

After 14 years of leading the Redhawks volleyball team, the news was something the team was not expecting.

“When we found out she was quite a shock for everyone,” junior Franny Trezza said.  “Everyone is pretty torn up about it, especially the juniors and seniors because we’ve been able to get to know her better. I personally am really sad that she won’t be my coach for my senior year.”