Redhawks return for summer practice

After nearly a months delay football starts up with their first game Friday at the Ford Center. The Redhawks take on the Lions at 7:00.

Remi Williams, Staff Reporter

After months away due to the COVID-19 outbreak, athletes on campus will be allowed back at school starting Monday as they begin training for fall sports. 

“​This summer, like the past few months, will certainly be different,” campus athletic coordinator Matt Swinna said. “We are pleased to be able to have on-campus strength and conditioning as well as skill development. The UIL has set out some extensive and important protocols that we will be following. Just a few of those include: athletes will be screened and given temperature checks each day, sanitizing stations will be available, athletes will work in small groups with social distancing in place, there will be no shared water access, and buildings will be limited in capacity. Those are just a few. Essentially, we will try to control every aspect of their time on campus in order to mitigate potential issues.”

For some football players, going back means setting the tone for the new season.

“I am excited to go back and see my teammates again and get the chance to put some more work in this summer,” senior Connor Hulstein said. “It will make for a great season this year.” 

Although students are allowed to return to practice nothing has been decided for the upcoming school year.

“​What happens this school year remains to be seen,” Swinnea said. “We are all waiting on direction from the state of Texas, UIL, and FISD.”