UIL postponed, sports delayed until September

Emily Vetvick

The Indian population in Frisco accounts for approximately 14% of the city’s residents, however, the population isn’t as represented when looking at sports. As time goes on, students are beginning to break.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

The start of 5A and 6A football, volleyball, cross country, and tennis’ seasons have been delayed by the UIL until at least Sept. 7, but starting Thursday, all sports will be able to begin in-person practice on campus. 

“We are taking it as an opportunity to get more work in before the season starts,” senior and football player Connor Hulstein said. “We are aiming to have a great, winning season, especially with this extra time. We won’t be able to have pads on until later, but we are going to work around it by preparing our playbook and skill sets so we are ready in time.”

Other athletes such as tennis player Tyler Brown, are just happy to be able to play.

“I am ok with having it start later because I’m just thankful we get to have a season,” Brown said. “It shouldn’t affect our season or practices too drastically since tennis is a sport where you can social distance while playing.”

Usually starting games in August, volleyball players are going to have only two preseason games and will be adding game days to Saturday. 

“It’s really disappointing,” senior and volleyball player Franny Trezza said. “But I understand that it is for the health and safety of us all .”

But smaller school districts such as Fairfield ISD, approximately 36 miles southeast of Corsicana, have already started their sports seasons.

The UIL and my county have done a good job attempting to allow us to go back to school on time,” Fairfield High School senior Emily Chavers said. “My county has very few cases (164 total confirmed cases) so I have a good feeling about all sports starting on time.”