Swimming adapts to COVID-19 guidelines

Sarah Boutouis

Along with all of the other sports, swim is having to make changes to their practices. Including social distancing and increased cleaning measures.

TJ Krilowicz, WTV Staff Reporter

COVID-19 has disrupted the entire high school sports world well beyond the football field and the volleyball court as even the Redhawk swim team is facing challenges that make practice difficult.

“It’s obviously a little different with our sport, but right now we’re working on social distancing,” swim coach Nick Dion said. “We have kids on one end of the pool and kids on the other side of the lane, to make sure that we’re keeping everybody distanced. It’s a whole new world for everybody.”

Coaches are trying their best to keep their students safe, and following protocol to make sure the chances of concepting the virus stay low.

“We’ve got everyone socially distanced, we have dot markings for kids to line up. Our team in particular is a little smaller so it makes it a little easier,” Dion said. “The pool gets fogged after everybody’s done and the equipment is cleaned up.” 

COVID-19 has not just taken a toll on the way students practice, it has also affected the morale of the swim team. However, getting to see each other has been the best thing to keep morale up.

“It’s been pretty hard to stay motivated because we’re not sure if we are going to have a season or not,” junior Jeffrey Jung said. 

“Some of the folks probably haven’t seen their teammates in a while, so I think there is some excitement and buzz around that,” Dion said. “I think just getting the opportunity to see each other is probably the best part.”