District earns fine arts distinction

As+jazz+band+auditions+approach%2C+the+process+will+look+different+this+year+due+to+COVID-19.+Rather+than+playing+in+front+of+directors%2C+students+will+submit+a+video+of+their+work.+%E2%80%9CI+think+it%E2%80%99s+good+that+they+are+still+doing+auditions+because+there+is+the+saying+that+the+show+must+go+on+and+though+it+may+happen+virtually%2C+it%E2%80%99s+good+that+they+are+continuing+and+letting+us+continue+our+passion%2C+senior+Aadit+Chadbury+said.+

Kennedy Williams

As jazz band auditions approach, the process will look different this year due to COVID-19. Rather than playing in front of directors, students will submit a video of their work. “I think it’s good that they are still doing auditions because there is the saying that the show must go on and though it may happen virtually, it’s good that they are continuing and letting us continue our passion,” senior Aadit Chadbury said.

Alize Shahzad, Guest Contributor

For the second year in a row, the Texas Art Education Association (TAEA) awarded Frisco ISD with the District of Distinction Award which acknowledges districts that are thriving in visual art education.

“Frisco ISD has set a high standard for visual arts advocacy, integrated visual arts curriculum, encouraged creativity and community participation”, TAEA administration and supervision division chair Stacia Gower said in a Frisco ISD news release. “With the challenges educators faced this past school year it is a true testament to their skill, dedication and flexibility that the quality of their programs continued strong and comprehensive.”

The Texas Art Education Association announced 42 prizewinners with only the top four percent of districts earning this honor in the state.

Kristen Bourdier, a Vaughn Elementary fine arts educator, finds ways to help children adore art.

“My job isn’t to make every kid great at art, but instead to show them that art is all around us and appreciating it is important,” Bourdier said in Frisco ISD news release. “Art crosses all disciplines and finding teachable moments, like in the vocabulary I choose, helps students easily see the connections to other subjects. Making cross-curricular ties can be the difference between a student having a concept going over their head or having an “aha” moment.”

Teachers and students both work very diligently. Last year, Frisco ISD also won the Inaugural TAEA District of Distinction Award.

“Great visual arts programs do not just ‘happen.’ They are the result of intentionality and excellence in day-to-day classroom instruction,” Frisco ISD Managing Director of Fine Arts Preston Hazzard said in the Frisco ISD news release.

Frisco ISD Fine Arts Coordinator, Robert Draper is elated and appreciative of the staff and the teachers for their continuous hard work, effort, and dedication in the schools.

“It is an incredible honor to be recognized as a district by TAEA,” Draper said in the Frisco ISD news release. “It is in clear recognition of the continued efforts of all elementary, middle, and high school visual arts teachers who go above and beyond to expand the reach of the arts.” “This past year provided hurdles but also opportunities for growth and the teachers proved that we are truly stronger together!”