Nose in their books, American Studies dives into independent reading

American+Studies+teachers+Emily+Griffin+%28L%29+and+Swapna+Gardner+%28R%29+instruct+their+students+in+the+library+last+school+year.+Both+the+in-peron+and+virtual+American+Studies+classes+are+now+taking+part+in+independent+reading+as+a+means+to+further+develop+their+skills+as+readers.+

Provided by Urja Joshi

American Studies teachers Emily Griffin (L) and Swapna Gardner (R) instruct their students in the library last school year. Both the in-peron and virtual American Studies classes are now taking part in independent reading as a means to further develop their skills as readers.

Vidula Pandian, Guest Contributor

Social media is in, and reading is out. At least that’s the results of a 2018 study published by the American Psychological Association. But at least one class on campus is trying to change that. 

“For my students, it is vital that they build up their reading skills so that they can keep up with collegiate level texts. I believe that building up reading skills gives students the tools they need to succeed as they move toward their preferred careers,” American Studies’ teacher Swapna Gardner said via email. “Outside of that, reading helps your brain grow and make more connections, and helps build socioemotional, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills. I enjoy reading because I know that it helps me both relax and keep my mind active. Your brain is doing so much work while you read.”

For junior Risha Thimmancherla, the independent reading is a great escapist opportunity, rather than it being solely for interest.

“I love when the characters in a book are relatable and real and I care about them. It is usually the plot that makes me stick around,” Thimmancherla said via email. “I love reading about interesting and multi-dimensional characters, I like when books manage to immerse me in the universe and feel real.”

With students split between learning virtual and in-person, the class also utilizes a journal to record and reflect on the books that they read.

“I’m hoping that logging how much they read every day will allow kids to self-monitor how they’re doing with reading. Journaling about what you read is different,” Gardner said via email. “It’s a way to engage with what you read, and it’s also one way that you can actually remember​ what you read. I always forget the stories in books, but journaling helps me remember them better.”

That’s not the case for Thimmancherla. For her, journaling isn’t quite the same as it is for her teacher. 

“I tend to have jumbled thoughts when I am reading,” Thimmancherla said via email. “So if I was recording them I would just write little notes and predictions instead of journaling.”