Unwarranted Opinions: standing on tables

In+her+weekly+column+UnWarranted+Opinions%2C+staff+reporter+Drew+Julao+takes+on+a+variety+of+topics+and+gives+her+take.+

Morgan Kong

In her weekly column “UnWarranted Opinions,” staff reporter Drew Julao takes on a variety of topics and gives her take.

Drew Adrian Julao, Staff Reporter

We are raised to believe that the way everyone does things is the way that everyone should do things. There are the basics like eating, speaking, walking, writing. Behaviour in general is regulated by what is appropriate or not, but I find that it is eye opening when you have that moment of realization when you do something that you were told not to do and wonder why you’d never thought of doing it before. I mean, we are autonomous beings aren’t we?

The answer is simple. It’s because society told you not to. If a student stood on a table in class to get a different view of the room, the teacher would tell them to get down, and probably give them some form of punishment. In this situation I present the question, who’s to say that we cannot stand on our own tables at home?

It is an odd topic, I understand, but my point is that people don’t question things or do some things because they are told and shown their whole life that it is not the norm. Standing up on the table, to me, has a serene feeling to it since I’ve never really looked at rooms from a tall perspective before. It’s nice to have that change. I don’t want to question things that I want to do anymore on the basis that other people would judge it. So I stand on tables.

If I want to use an outdated lantern as I walk around at night, then I will do it. It will be fun and I will feel my most childish self being fulfilled. I will feel happy.

We look at the world around us with a lens manufactured by society and when we choose to break that lens, is when we can be truly free. Carpe Diem! Seize the day! Live life, with hope that at the end of it, you’ll have so many stories that you can die peacefully.

A quote that I live by everyday is this:

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

Henry David Thoreau

Because I want to live deliberately. I want to live with intention in everything I do. I do not want to care about others’ thoughts on my actions or doubt myself. I want to be awake in every moment and live a life that I want to live. Everyone should. So, stand on your table, take a look at your room from a new perspective and take in the vision of your new life.