Lien selected as Teacher of the Year

Nominated+by+Liberty+teachers%2C+assistant+orchestra+director+Victoria+Lien+was+named+Liberty+High+Schools+Teacher+of+the+Year.+From+students+to+coworkers%2C+Liens+dedication+and+passion+to+the+orchestra+program+is+apparent+to+those+around+her.+

Permission to use by Stacey Whaling

Nominated by Liberty teachers, assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien was named Liberty High School’s Teacher of the Year. From students to coworkers, Lien’s dedication and passion to the orchestra program is apparent to those around her.

Violins, music sheets, and rehearsals. 

This is Victoria Lien’s normality as the assistant orchestra director.

Playing instruments most of her life, Lien now shares her music knowledge with students in the orchestra, and on Wednesday, she was named the school’s Teacher of the Year. 

“Receiving the Teacher of the Year award is such an unexpected honor,” Lien said. “It is not only a confidence boost for me but also assures me that what I am doing is in the right direction. It also adds an additional push for me to continue to be better to fully live up to that title! In all honesty, I believe that the title should be going to my support system and students–the students for continuing to teach me new things each year and allowing me to be comfortable to try new projects and lessons, and my colleagues for their ideas and words of wisdom.”

Her level of dedication and the hours and hours she puts in reaching out to each individual student is truly amazing,

— Orchestra director Julie Blackstock

Lien’s dedication as a teacher radiates in the orchestra program, as she continuously seeks ways to engage with students. 

“Ms. Lien works tirelessly to ensure her students’ success,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “Through fun and engaging assignments, she really tries to broaden the musical horizons of our students, whether it’s about Hispanic Heritage Month, or musicals, or music theory and sight-singing. Her level of dedication and the hours and hours she puts in reaching out to each individual student is truly amazing. In fact, for the students in her classes, she asks them their favorite key and then records herself playing “Happy Birthday” in that key on all the instruments, edits the video, and sends it to them. She does everything in her power to make them feel special and involved.”

Lien also works diligently to spread the world of music beyond the walls of the orchestra rooms. 

“I think Ms. Lien’s students are well aware of her abilities as an assistant orchestra director,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “One thing that stands out for Ms. Lien is her dedication to our community.  She began a parent-student orchestra on campus to encourage families to join their students in developing a love of music. During the closure last spring, she worked with Ms. Blackstock to create a virtual orchestra production that was just outstanding.”

Working with Lien throughout her high school career, senior Nandika Chirala recognizes the impact Lien has had not only in her music abilities but even in her family. 

“I think the most rewarding thing is just seeing the students grow up over the course of four years. It is remarkable to see their growth not only musically, but also as a person and as a leader,

— Assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien

“Ms. Lien is such an incredibly inspiring, organized, and passionate teacher!” Chirala said via text.  “As orchestra president, I’m lucky enough to work closely with her and she does such a great job facilitating the community within our orchestra program. She has such great ideas and advice, whether it comes to music, the orchestra program, or anything in general! One thing she’s done that I found so inspiring is her creation of the parent teacher orchestra, which both of my parents were a part of last year! A lot of these adults had always loved the sound and beauty of orchestral instruments but maybe never got the opportunity to play, and now she’s allowing them to share in the joy of making music which is so incredible. I know my parents cherish that experience, and I loved being able to watch them do that. She’s a phenomenal mentor and person and so deserving of this award!”

Responsible for leading the Redhawk orchestra, Lien believes the most valuable aspect about her job is forming relationships with the students. 

“I think the most rewarding thing is just seeing the students grow up over the course of four years,” Lien said. “It is remarkable to see their growth not only musically, but also as a person and as a leader. It is exciting being able to celebrate their successes and seeing them get into their dream programs and even going beyond to do great things in the world. It is equally rewarding to see relationships develop and a community form within the orchestra program over the course of the year.”