No stage required for virtual choir concert

Unable to do a traditional choir concert due to COVID-19 restrictions, the FISD choir department has joined students to create a virtual concert experience on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Caroline Caruso, Managing Editor

Recording, editing, and fine-tuning. Weeks later, choir directors around Frisco ISD have successfully combined the voices of more than one-thousand students.

It’s all part of Thursday’s “Woven” performance, a virtually broadcast collaborative concert starting at 7 p.m. via the NFHS Network, that features all ten FISD high school choirs. 

“This is the first time we have ever done anything like this,” FISD Fine Arts Coordinator for Vocal Music said in a news release. “It is an example of how the creativity of the fine arts program is shining through during the parameters provided by the pandemic.”

Breaking off of the traditional rhythm of fall-concerts in years past, choir director Toni Ugolini is hopeful that the performance will still be able to showcase the talent of her choir to the same extent. 

“We just knew that we weren’t gonna be able to do a traditional in-person concert,” she said. “We really wanted to do something that was representative of how great our choirs in Frisco were, but the community we have as well. We are all in this together.” 

There are some obstacles with the new solution according to junior Hannah Vanacour.

“The hardest thing is that I’m not able to hear all of my peers in the choir and not being able to practice with everyone,” Vanacour said.

However, sophomore Isabelle Raade believes virtual performances may bring a new set of benefits. 

“In-person concerts can be more fun,” Raade said. “But an online concert gives us more opportunities to fix what we need to work on.”