Deadline for Spanish Honor Society application comes to a close

Applications are due Friday for students wanting to apply for the Spanish Honor Society. To be eligible, students must have completed their first semester of Spanish 3, be in the 10th grade or higher, and have maintained A averages in Spanish.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

Applications are due Friday for students wanting to apply for the Spanish Honor Society. To be eligible, students must have completed their first semester of Spanish 3, be in the 10th grade or higher, and have maintained A averages in Spanish

Spanish teacher Ashli Taquino advocates for this organization as she believes it helps promote interest in the continuation of Hispanic studies. 

Understanding other cultures and being able to communicate in as many languages as possible is very important for us to be competent and culturally aware global citizens,” Taquino said. “Of course, I try and promote the acquisition of the Spanish language in particular, and outlets like Spanish Club and SHH help do that.”

For AP Spanish 4 student Sreya Das, this is an opportunity she is eager to take advantage of. 

“I think it’s important to honor Hispanic studies in school as it introduces people to new cultures and perspectives which may help them develop character and also be open to trying new experiences.”

In addition to SHH, there are many more ways that avid Spanish students can immerse themselves in. 

“We also have Spanish Club, which actually does more to engage and promote cultural knowledge through games, activities, and videos,” Taquino said. “It is open to all students (not just those in Spanish classes), and kids really get a kick out of learning about  customs, traditions, and some basic vocab.”