Teaching Shakespeare, AP Literature breaks down Macbeth online

Shrey Tiwari

Shrey Tiwari, WTV Staff Reporter

Shakespearean works and plays are some of the most analyzed pieces of literature in English classrooms today, and that hasn’t changed with the new learning environments in school for seniors.

The Tragedy of Macbeth has been a very popular text for literature teachers, however with this year’s virtual academy, educators have had to adapt the way they teach the content while still keeping the magic of breaking down the text alive.

“Well it’s a lot different. For me, one of the things I really love about teaching Shakespeare is the movement of it,” AP Literature teacher Beth Evans said. “So when I teach plays, I typically, you know, I have students getting up, acting out scenes. Even reading it aloud, even from your desk, doesn’t translate very well over in the virtual environment. so it is, it has been a challenge to figure out new ways to get kids engaged.”

Evans has adapted some of her old teaching techniques to make sure the content is fully understood.

“The way I’ve approached Macbeth, and this is kind of similar to in class, I do always like to show it, just because it’s a play, it’s meant to be watched,” Evans said. “I think it’s there’s a lot of value to see how it’s staged, and then showing like different things and various production clips.” 

For senior Panav Ladha, the biggest difference is the level of interaction.  

“I’m not sure it would be too different, obviously, there’s less need for interaction,” Ladha said. “People don’t feel the need to like, you know, turn on their cameras or just be more present or appear present, but it should be more or less the same. I think the main difference is being more reserved and not asking as many questions as you would in person, because maybe you’re afraid to interrupt someone or something like that, which is something people on virtual think more about.”

Still, Evans has some tips and advice for upcoming juniors and sophomores who may be looking ahead and planning for this class.

“I think with Shakespeare, number one, don’t be afraid of it, don’t have preconceived ideas it’s too hard or too old,” Evans said. “I would say trying to read it, it’s almost like studying a foreign language. If you don’t try to read it for yourself and you just rely on things like a ‘No Fear Shakespeare‘’ or a translation, you’re missing the beauty of it. But that takes your time with it because the more you read it, the more you find it’s not that hard to read and then it’s really rewarding.”