Solo performances up in the air for band students

Caroline Attmore

While students have been practicing to demonstrate their talent, Moving onward in the UIL competition season, each band student has been perfecting their solo which they will perform Saturday. For many students who were previously online, the solo contest will be an entirely new experience.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

Although many fine arts events have been cancelled due to COVID-19, band students are hopeful that solo and ensemble will be different.

“As of right now, we are not sure when students will be able to perform their solos. We are hopeful to have students play at the UIL solo contest at the end of February, but right now we have no guidance on if that event is still on as planned,” assistant band director Cecily Yoakam said. “There has also been talk of an FISD solo contest during May to give students and extra performance opportunities.”

The purpose of the solo and ensemble is to allow students to grow and improve in their playing and learning skills.

“The purpose of students preparing solos is to provide them with an opportunity to grow as an individual musician. So much of what we do in the band is focused on the group as a whole, and fitting into the ensemble,” Yoakam said. “Preparing solos helps to build individual accountability and musicianship. It helps students to focus on their own growth and become better musicians, while developing confidence in their abilities.”

Solo and ensemble allow students to learn and perform a new piece of music by themselves.

“I am preparing by taking notes during lessons about each line in song, then playing the song from end to beginning. I think solos should be held virtually if possible, although there could be technical difficulties affecting overall sound,” sophomore Zeke Rubio said. “My solo was picked by default I think, but I am very confident in my practicing habits and techniques learned from my private lessons teacher.”

According to Yoakam, the most important thing for students to do is to invest the time needed to learn and play their music.

“The best way for students to prepare their solos is to practice slowly. The students will need to practice as much as possible to understand their solo and fully be prepared to perform. Slow, consistent, and focused practice is the best way,” she said. “Taking the piece in small chunks, as opposed to plowing through it every day, is also a great way for them to prepare.”

Some students think that despite COVID-19, the performances should be held in person because it allows for a better experience.

“To prepare for the performance, I really just have to practice on my own, and usually we have two rehearsals with a pianist, but I don’t know if we’re still going to do that because of COVID-19,” senior Jack Milleson said. “I think they should happen live because it’s just a better experience because I enjoy playing in front of a judge and it’s just really fun.”