Student film receives recognition

Verma Productions

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

Trying to find an outlet for his short films, senior Pranshu Verma launched a YouTube channel, Verma Productions. Working in tandem with Paradox Pictures, managed by Shreyansh Tiwari and Yajat Shirpurkar, Verma has been able to bring together his most recent film Liberation, which has been selected for both the Lift-Off Global Network and Lift-Off Online Sessions in 2021

“In Liberation, I debuted as a director as well as being an actor, writer, editor, and producer,” Verma said via text. “I’ve learned a lot throughout the film and…you can see from the beginning of the film to the end of the film how the direction and acting have gradually gotten better. Liberation got me on my toes and I was constantly working on it for the past six months and in the end I believe it was worth it.”

For Tiwari, his work with Verma was a learning experience.

“My experience helping create Pranshu Verma’s film, Liberation, was a truly enjoyable and positive one,” Tiwari said. “I had a great time working closely with him to not only finally create the finished product that was successful in itself, but also I learned much about how to properly lend assistance to someone without breaking the rhythm or causing issues in the production itself, which in my opinion, is something that takes real experience to master.”

Seeking help from fellow students, Verma turned to Shirpukar for specific sequences. 

“Pranshu invited me on the project for some cinematography shots and to edit the introduction of the film,” Shirpurkar said. “This opportunity allowed me to try out new things and better myself. As always, I had a great time working with Pranshu and the team.”

Verma is confident the progression that took place in their craft over those six months can propel him to his future endeavors as a professional filmmaker and actor.

“I do, I do see myself in the film industry one day,” he said. “It’s been my childhood dream to become an actor and I’m starting to build myself as an actor so that I can prove my worth in the industry later on.”

His aspirations are not without obstacles, however, and being a student sometimes poses technical complications. 

“I have some obstacles nowadays because of school and now, COVID-19,” Verma said. “As a student you have to be at school for about 7-8 hours a day, for 5 days a week. That just leaves us with about 2 days of filming. It [also] hinders my ability because we don’t have all of the ostentatious, amazing film equipment. We don’t have a lot of money to spend on camera equipment, so we use what we have laying around. Sometimes the gear we create is more useful than the original.”

Art can be a very personal and sensitive thing which has led to some more emotional challenges he has had to overcome. 

“Being a student also hinders the ability to make films because people don’t take it seriously,” Verma said. “People think we’ll go nowhere with this film stuff and some have said that [we] should be focused on something better. This throws off our mindset as filmmakers and actors and demotivates us. But my directors and I have the mindset that we will make it one day, no matter what. We have to prove everyone wrong. I personally let my actions and work speak instead of my words.”