Redhawks compete in FCCLA State Conference

As+an+organization+dedicated+to+learning+about+life+skills%2C+the+FFCLA+Redhawk+team+competed+at+the+State+Conference+with+events+ranging+from+interior+design+to+dollars+and+sense.+

Provided by Savannah Hathcock

As an organization dedicated to learning about life skills, the FFCLA Redhawk team competed at the State Conference with events ranging from interior design to dollars and sense.

Alize Shahzad, Guest Contributor

Several students on campus recently took part in the competed at the Texas Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) State Conference and Competition. 

“This is the Career and Technical (CTE) Student Organization for students who have taken or are currently in Family & Consumer Science classes,” CTE teacher Jessica Fisher-Hattey said. “At Liberty, those classes are Intro to Culinary Arts, Food Science, Interpersonal Studies, Child Development, Dollars & Sense, Fashion Design and Interior Design. It is the only in-school academic organization with families at the center of its work. We build leaders in families, careers and our community.” 

Teachers Kristi Swinnea and Jessica Fisher-Hattey at CTE did their best to help make sure students were successful.

“I helped students by helping them with their project, listening to them practice for competition, double checking their work, asking them questions about their work and encouraging them,” Swinnea said via email. “I was understanding, patient, and encouraging.” 

“The students who wished to compete in FCCLA Star Events told me what things or causes they were passionate about and I helped them find a category that fitted their passions or skills and talents,” Fisher-Hattey said via email. “I guided them through learning the rubric for their event and creating their project according to that rubric.” 

Senior Savannah Hathcock, senior Lauren Massie and junior Varda Khan competed as a team in Interior Design. 

“My team and I made 3 boards consisting of one floor plan on elevation and a board of pictures of furniture of the rooms,” Khan said via email. “In our presentation we explained the concept of interior design considering the paint color, furniture, textures, layout, basically everything. The floor plan was the hardest to complete since I was drawing it from scratch on a 1/4 scale. We were also adding the renovations as I drew so that was pretty hard.”

Students who participate in this organization may obtain several vital skills for their life as an adult.

“I’ve learned so much from this organization but mostly how to make a space multifunctional, as well as working with new programs and working with people,” senior Savannah Hathcock said via email. “FCCLA will help me in the future because I have met so many people by in this program and learned a lot from them. Plus,  I’m majoring in interior design, so doing this project three years in a row will definitely help me in college.”