Scrimmage kicks off football season

TJ Krilowicz

The football team is back in action Friday night in the Nest. The team takes on Royse City High School at 6:00 P.M.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Looking to make the playoffs for the second straight year, the football team starts its 2021 season with a scrimmage against Royse City High School at 6:00 p.m. Friday at The Nest.

Although there are a few new faces, a majority of the athletes on the team this year are returning seniors according to head football coach Matt Swinnea.

“I think there is some natural momentum just in the fact that three years ago we had 15 sophomores who are now seniors so there is an experience factor,” Swinnea said.

Having practiced against each other for weeks, quarterback, junior Keldric Luster, is looking forward to playing a different team. 

“We really don’t have a true game plan for this scrimmage,” Luster said. “We are just focusing on hitting people that aren’t on our team, going out there, and getting things done.”

While some Redhawks have more confidence than others, the team can’t rely on last year’s success according to Swinnea. 

“As I told the guys, you don’t get the right checks on last year’s account,” he said. “You’ve got to fill up the account this year. It’s two-fold. We do have some confidence but we still have to take care of business.”