Redhawks’ book recommendations on display

Jay Poe and Robyn Burke

Jay Poe, Guest Contributor

Inspired by a previous display from a few years back, librarian, Chelsea Hamilton, created two end caps using recommendations provided by staff and library aides. 

“I decided that I wanted to display books that teachers and my library aids recommended,” Hamilton said. ”Kind of like that feeling you get when you go into Barnes and Noble and they had the staff recommendations.”

Previously, the end cap only included staff picks, but Hamilton decided to include library aid favorites to have both students and teacher recommendations. 

There is a small collection of realistic fiction, fantasy, graphic novels, and nonfiction. 

With this year’s “favorites end cap,” Hamilton hopes to open some minds and possibly make connections with students and teachers. 

“I hope that students will realize we teachers, adults, we still read a lot of the same kinds of things we used to read when we were their age,” Hamilton said. “And so there potentially is a connection that a student can make with a teacher, or just a different book that they didn’t realize was on the shelf, having it on an end cap so they can see it.” 

As far as what she would put on the end cap, Hamilton definitely has a few choices. “So I don’t have them here but my all-time favorite books series is The Gunslinger, by Stephen King. It’s a whole series, it’s a whole thing. Stephen King is just spectacular, a world builder, I love it,” Hamilton said. “But here I will say I did kind of put one of my favorites on the endcap, I cheated a little bit, it’s Born of Crime by Trevor Noah. Excellent book, an excellent audio book too, because he actually speaks the languages he writes in his books.”