Nominees for campus teacher of the year award announced

Caroline Attmore

AP English Language and American Studies students are exploring current events in class. “Long term, it’s just good to know what’s going on around the world to make sure that they’re kind of being informed and they’re able to make their own kind of decisions based on seeing different perspectives of the same issue,” Harrison said.

Trisha Dasgupta, Editor-in-Chief

The nominees for this year’s campus teacher of the year award have been announced, and staff members will be able to vote for one of their colleagues to be the final nominee until this Sunday. 

“The district put out a nominating forum to all the schools,” Principal Ashley Rainwater said via email. “We always look at our core values, and based on those we look at the people who were nominated.”

This year’s seven nominees are Bryan Chandler, Kenric Davies, Maria Delgado Hernandez, Beth Evans, Brian Higgins, Cynthia Kays, and Sarah Wiseman. 

“It’s truly an honor to be nominated for Teacher of the Year on campus,” math and special education teacher Cynthia Kays said. “There are phenomenal teachers on this campus and I am truly honored to be selected alongside the other nominees.”

For AP Literature and Humanities teacher Beth Evans, the nomination makes her feel recognized for her work. 

“It makes me feel valued as a teacher,” Evans said. “I really work hard to try to build community in my classroom and on my academic teams, so that feels really good.”