Redhawk athletes put pen to paper

TJ Krilowicz

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Five Redhawk athletes put pen to paper on Wednesday as they committed to colleges where they plan to continue their athletic careers.

College brings many things for many people, and for each of the Redhawk athletes, their school brings something no other school can offer them.

“Once I started really getting into soccer, I started to see how good they were and I knew I wanted to go there,” Clountz said. “When I found out they were interested in me I was like ‘wow.’ I didn’t even look at other colleges to go to. I just knew I wanted to go there.”

For senior Maegan Shannon the overall campus feeling is what really drew her in.

“I really knew this school was right for me after my visit,” Shannon said. “I really liked the coach, her style, the students there, and just the feeling of the school.”

For Overlin, Angelo State helps him focus more on the sport he loves most.

“I knew I wanted to stay close to home and I know they are a very good pitching school, so that’s what kind of drew me in,” Overlin said.

However, family is where it’s at for senior Cade McGarrh.

“I really became interested just because of the family aspect the school offered,” McGarrh said. “With all of the coaches and people up there I really just felt at home.”

• Senior Oliver Overlin will attend Angelo State University and senior Cade McGarrh will attend Texas Tech University to continue their baseball careers.

• Senior Maegan Shannon will attend Midwestern State University to continue her softball career.

• Senior Kennedy Clountz will attend Texas Christian University to continue her soccer career.

• Senior Jazzy Owens-Barnett will attend Rice University to continue her basketball career.