School support specialists aim to educate on mental health concerns

FISD has a new team of school support specialists. Their goal is to educate families on mental-health related concerns.

School Support Specialist Office

Caroline Caruso, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

With climbing rates of anxiety and other mental health concerns in the nation, high school students make up the majority of this statistic. 

Inside Frisco ISD, a recent proposition to tackle the issue has become reality this fall, as the district introduces its newest staff members, the School Support Specialists.  

Coordinating with school counselors, the role of an SSS is to provide FISD families with a series of mental health resources in hopes to brighten students’ quality of learning. 

“Frisco ISD’s School Support Specialists partner with our students’ families to help secure the community resources they need,” the district wrote in a recent FISD news brief. “Once students’ needs are met, they’re able to feel safe and learn. A school’s SSS works closely with the school counselor to help families navigate the process of receiving such resources.”

Each of the ten School Support Specialist workers are in communication with their school’s counseling department in order to culminate a collection of resources for FISD families. 

Resources include medical assistance, community resources, parent support and assistance, truancy-related recommendations, mental health counseling, and outside case management services. 

“A student or family might need support if they are going through a crisis, physical or mental health diagnosis, traumatic event, change in household circumstances, job loss, or any number [of reasons],” Licensed Master Social Worker Audrey Thomas said. “I look forward to helping the students, families, and staff at Frisco ISD by connecting them with resources in our awesome community.”
More information regarding district resources can be found here.