Internet friends

Screenshot - Rin Ryu

For some students, making and keeping friends is easier online. We text 24/7, we tell each other little things, how our day is going, we rant to each other, and are overall more vulnerable through text,” sophomore Nicole Azizi said. “We mainly text about our day all the time because we are so close.”

Generation Z is the first generation to grow up with a dependency on technology. The generation is often referred to as “digital natives” as digital communication is the norm. The time of sending letters is long gone, and teenagers worldwide are able to access connections with people in the virtual realm.

According to the Pew Research Center, 57% of teens 13 to 17 have made a new friend online. Sophomore Nicole Azizi, a member of the 57%, first discovered the concept of internet friends years ago.

There are three of them which I am close to, one of which I have known for 3-4 years,

— freshman Phoenix Myers

“Through talking with my parents and learning through social media at age 9, I was able to understand the concept of internet friends. I made my first internet friend when I was 10 years old through Instagram and Minecraft,” Azizi said “My parents did not react too badly about my relationships with people online. They were just worried about my safety, but they liked that I had people to talk to.”

After talking to her parents about internet friends, Azizi realized the importance of internet safety and looking after herself online.

“I always hide my location and avoid posting pictures that give away my location,” she said. “A lot of them don’t know what school or district I go to.”

Despite the physical barriers of internet friends, Azizi is able to manage an extremely close relationship with her online friends.

“We text 24/7, we tell each other little things, how our day is going, we rant to each other, and are overall more vulnerable through text,” Azizi said. “We mainly text about our day all the time because we are so close.”

In fact, Azizi states that she much prefers friends online compared to those in real life.

“It is nice knowing people outside of where you live because everyone has such different personalities,” Azizi said. They grew up in different ways and different places, so it is nice to be able to talk to them along with the idea of meeting them one day.”

Freshman Phoenix Myers has a similar outlook on online friendships.

“There are three of them which I am close to, one of which I have known for 3-4 years,” Myers said. “The other two I have known for three years, so I am better friends with them than with anyone else.”

I always hide my location and avoid posting pictures that give away my location,

— sophomore Nicole Azizi

Azizi has had previous experiences with toxic, in-person relationships also contributing to her preference for companions online.

“They can’t ruin me as a person because they can’t get in touch with my real world and can’t make up rumors to ruin my character,” Azizi said

But for Myers, meeting her internet friends is scheduled to happen in a few months.

“In April I’m going to meet two of them because they are moving to Minnesota and are making a stop in Texas,” Myers said. “I am actually going to meet them.”