Campus technology refresh begins

Karina Grokhovskaya

Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Producer

Out with the old and slow, and in with the new and fast.

After five years the school is getting a technology upgrade and the WTV/Wingspan newsroom is the first to get this new tech.

Included in the new upgrade is 30 new iMacs with updated software, touch ID keyboards, and wireless mouses.

The new computers were removed and installed all under 2 hours with at least 10 Frisco ISD tech crew helping out.

For Wingspan adviser Brian Higgins having the new computers allows for less time spent waiting.

“Well I’m super excited because the old Macs don’t work well with Adobe Premiere Pro our editing system, which is the reason why a lot of times the daily update is not done when it needs to be,” Higgins said. “Because if I don’t start the computers right when I get in it really slows down the producers so we are incredibly excited about these new computers.”

For executive producer Cooper Ragle being able to have updated computers allows for this last semester to be run more smoothly.

Getting new computers is gonna be a huge benefit a, huge help and it’s really going to help this last semester to run much more smoothly and get our content out much more easily,” Ragle said.

This new technology will ideally have a big impact on the journalism program.

“Hopefully it will make a big impact it may not be an impact that is seen by everyone but it will definitely impact all the journalism classes that I have,” Higgins said.

• Key Club has been helping teachers clean up around the school in light of the campus refresh.

• The new iMacs are smaller than the previous models at 11.5 mm thick. Powered by a M1 chip, the computers feature smaller keyboards, and four USB-C ports.

• A crew of 10 Frisco ISD technology workers spent several hours in C102 removing all the Apple iMacs and installing news iMacs on Friday, Jan. 28, 2022. While the room was being worked on, the classes of journalism teacher Brian Higgins relocated to the library.

• Called the Magic Mouse, Apple’s new wireless mouse is rechargeable with a multi-touch surface. According to Apple’s site claims the battery on the Magic Mouse could last more than a month.

• More than 60 USB-C to USB adapters are piled on top a desk in room C102. With the new iMacs having no USB ports, the adapters are necessary in the Audio/Video production classroom as the video cameras record on SD cards.