AP Economics utilizes new grade curve

Yael Even

The debate of whether or not to decrease the school week is ongoing. With several districts moving to this new format, it is no surprise many have something to say about it.

Bar Rabia, Guest Contributor

AP Economics is one of many classes on campus getting a head start on standard-based grading that will be used on campus in the 2022-2023 school year.

“I utilize the AP score conversion chart for 5,4,3,2 and 1 and with a three, four, and five students are receiving credit for the AP exam so I will give them an A in the class because that is passing a college class and doing well,” AP Economics teacher Kristin Binyon said. “If they are beneath that they fall between an 85 or 70 because the students are challenging themselves so they deserve above a failing grade because there is no point in giving a failing grade because you can’t recover from that it’s literally just a follow the 5,4,3,2,1 format of the College Board.”

This system helps a lot of students and makes the class more manageable.

“I think it is pretty generous because you could basically fail a test and she’ll still give you like a 70,” senior Brian Choa said. “So I guess even if you try and not study or do anything, then you can still get a pretty good grade.”’/’

Other than helping students in the class, having this grading system also prepares them for how AP tests are going to be graded.

”I think it is more realistic to what kids are going to see to have a kid get a three on the AP exam,” Binyon said. ”In your class, in this case, a 60 that’s not realistic, if they pass the AP exam they shouldn’t be failing your class.”

By adjusting the grading system, senior Simon Nagles says students may get more engaged. 

“I think that it’s still important for the curve to be there because without the threat of failure people are more willing to ask questions and experiment and genuinely see how much they know,” Nagles said.

But while he understands the new system may be beneficial to some students, it could lead to students not putting as much effort into the class.

“I understand that it could help others, but I personally think that it might demotivate studying to a certain extent,” Nagles said. “Nonetheless it is definitely easier for seniors to be able to take AP Economics with the idea that they aren’t going to fail end it makes it more disposed and actually taking the class in a genuine sense rather than cheating so for those who might not be studying as much currently, it is essentially impossible to fail the class as long as you’re trying as long as you’re attempting the class and doing your best effort you’re guaranteed to not fail.”

The system provides a safety net for students which is a benefit in Binyon’s eyes.

“I think I see fewer students feeling that discouragement,” Binyon said. “I see if you were students feeling ashamed of having a three on an AP exam I also see them feel less stress and anxiety which is super important.”