Time to rhyme on World Poetry Day

Maya Silberman

The libary is hosting a trade fair this Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. It is meant to serve as an opportunity for students to discover different pathways after high school.

From an ode to a stanza, and an allegory to alliteration, Monday is World Poetry Day, a day to honor the reading, writing, and teaching of poetry.

“Celebrating the day can be done in different ways,” librarian Chelsea Hamilton said. “For example, when I was a classroom teacher, I would do an activity on the day. Sometimes it was kids doing blackout poetry or other times they could use a template as inspiration. Sometimes we would also focus on songs as poetry.”

It fosters critical thinking skills, so it is important we are exposed to different forms of poetry,

— English teacher Michelle Porter

In the eyes of Hamilton, poems can be an important teaching tool.  

The Illiad, The Odyssey, and Beowulf are all examples of epic poems,” Hamilton said. “It’s important we are able to share stories such as these with our students as each one can teach us something different.”

Although books may get more attention, poems are very much a part of English classes.

“It fosters critical thinking skills, so it is important we are exposed to different forms of poetry,” English teacher Michelle Porter said. “It also helps to strengthen one’s creativity and imagination.”

The reading and writing of poetry is important for different reasons according to senior Haruna Tanaka. 

“It is important to understand the influence of it,” Tanaka said. “It can expand our view of society, stories, or the things around us.”

In reality, poetry is anything you want it to be,

— librarian Chelsea Hamilton

Poems may not be the favorite of many students, but Hamilton thinks there’s a place for them. 

“I wish poetry was more mainstream,” Hamilton said. “It’s definitely important, and to a lot of people, it may seem stuffy and almost unattainable, but in reality, poetry is anything you want it to be.” 

According to Porter, poems can express countless emotion and leave a lasting impact. 

“Through poetry, our world can experience love, hardships, tragedies, hope, etc.,” Porter said. “It allows the reader to become connected through the power of its words, impacting lives one stanza at a time.”