Plans for annual family science night underway

Family science night is an opportunity for different science classes to show what they have been working on. This year, the science teachers have put together a “crime scene” theme.

Gautham Garg, WTV Staff Reporter

The science department is currently planning the annual family science night.

The goal of the event is to showcase to family members what students in different science classes have been learning throughout the year and to maybe ease some anxiety middle school students may have about high school.

“It’s a way for the younger students in elementary and middle school to have a way to come to the high school,” science teacher Kenric Davies said. “We encourage them to come to experience science, and to take away any fear they might have about coming to high school.”

Usually, the science nights have a theme to them to make them more engaging for kids.

“We really just started planning it,” Davies said. “But the overall theme we’re going with this year is crime scene science, so we have students working on different groups that are working on fingerprint activities, or DNA activities in biology, or even motion detection activities.“

This year’s event is currently scheduled for April 13 but it could possibly be moved to may when all AP tests are done.