Things get dicey at orchestra’s board game social Friday

Friday+after+school%2C+orchestra+students+will+be+gathering+for+its+monthly+social.+This+weeks+social+includes+a+series+of+board+games+as+well+as+video+games+for+students+to+play+with.+

Kasey Harvey

Friday after school, orchestra students will be gathering for its monthly social. This week’s social includes a series of board games as well as video games for students to play with.

Kaitlin George, Guest Contributor

Board games and video games are replacing instruments Friday after school for the orchestra’s monthly social event. 

“It was just another creative idea from the leadership team to have a social,” assistant director Madison Waggerman said. “We like to have at least one social a month, so this one was just another idea that they thought of, and we’re executing it.”

The orchestra room is going to be set up for video games, while the band hall will be the destination for board games. 

“I think orchestra members should participate in this social,” freshman Nithya Boddu said. “It’s a great way to get to know your peers more and be more involved with the orchestra program.”

Waggerman believes that this social can give them a community outside of their orchestra class.

“They get to meet kids that are not in their orchestra and actually have a place to belong,” Waggerman said. “That’s really important to us; to make sure we’re having opportunities for kids to bond, especially after COVID.” 

Attending most of the socials this year, freshman Selena Sikkanther is looking forward to another one. 

“I am planning on attending this social,” she said. “I’m most excited to spend time with people I love being around.”