Chess club expands competition

Pexels

Chess club has begun offering more interscholastic options. Playing a strategy game like chess can help exercise the brain.

Siddhartha Rangaraju, WTV Staff Reporter

Ater four years on campus, the chess club is now spreading its wings by competing with other schools in interscholastic competitions.

Even though chess club has a variety of skill levels, players are looking to expand their competitive options.

“So actually we’re in the middle of planning that right now for a long time chess club has just been about, you know, chilling and just relaxing,” club president junior Jaden Jovan said. But now we have a lot of players that are looking for a higher level of competition, so we’ve actually partnered with a lot of nearby schools and we’re setting up interschool competitions and stuff like that. ”

Just like sports, playing a strategy game like chess can exercise the muscle that is the brain.

“You learn strategies,” sponsor Angela Montgomery said. “You learn how to problem-solve. It engages parts of your brain that help you with all sorts of things, so it also is just a place that you can come learn how to play chess. If you don’t know how. And I’ve always wanted to, and it’s an opportunity to socialize with other students that like to play chess.”

All skill levels of students can join the chess club from complete beginners to higher skilled players that have been playing for quite a while.

“You can sign up for chess club like either going to the bulletin board in front of the school at the school entrance and scanning the QR code on the poster there or by scanning the QR code in front of Montgomery’s room,” freshman Sasank Padarti said. “And once you’re in there will be a google form you’ll need to fill out. And also there will be a link to the Discord. ”