New Frisco ISD schools means new UIL districts

The+opening+of+Panther+Creek+High+School+led+to+the+readjusting+of+UIL+districts.+%E2%80%9CWith+FISD+schools+in+three+different+districts%2C+this+expands+the+opportunity+for+schools+to+make+the+playoffs%2C%E2%80%9D+Campus+Athletic+Coordinator+Matt+Swinnea+said.+

Tai Tran

The opening of Panther Creek High School led to the readjusting of UIL districts. “With FISD schools in three different districts, this expands the opportunity for schools to make the playoffs,” Campus Athletic Coordinator Matt Swinnea said.

Harley Classe, Editor-in-Chief

The opening of Panther Creek High School on Wednesday, and its first varsity season, along with Emerson High School’s first varsity season, means the Frisco ISD athletics program now has all 12 high schools competing in varsity sports. 

And with students transferring between schools in order to maintain an enrollment balance, teams are forced to shift UIL districts in order to comply with school size districting regulations.

“We are a big district, and this is a result that comes with being so big,” quarterback, senior Will Jackson said. “I think being split up like we are really gives us, and more specifically small schools, the opportunity to grow. I like how there are different levels of competition, even just within our district. It really gives everyone the opportunity to showcase their skills and stuff like that.”

FISD high school football teams now hold places across the UIL 4A, 5A-I and 5A-II divisions.

“With FISD schools in three different districts, this expands the opportunity for schools to make the playoffs,” Campus Athletic Coordinator Matt Swinnea said. “Once again, student opportunity is a reality.”

The shift in districts was a reality for the Redhawk football team as they have been recently bumped up to the larger 5A division, 5A-I.

“We will certainly be one of the smaller schools state-wide in Division 1,” Swinnea said. “What that sometimes creates is an imbalance with regards to depth at several positions, namely on the offensive and defensive line. It will be a challenge, but we feel like our guys are up to the task.”

Looking to succeed as the “underdogs” in the new district, the Redhawks have developed a set of manageable steps they plan to follow to see a successful season.

“Filling spots is our game,” Jackson said. “I’m older and a big part of the rebuilding stage as a senior because I help set the example for underclassmen, so I think it’s a different experience for me, getting to see the start of the rebuilding process.”

Senior Alex Trevino believes that the diversity that comes with FISD’s growth will be extremely beneficial moving forward.

“Really, I think that the biggest thing about being split up as a district between 12 high schools gives us more diversity,” Trevino said. “After losing 15 seniors last year as well as being moved up to the big 5A division I think this season could definitely be difficult, but I know we have the power to rise above it as a team.”