Band takes flight as they prepare for this year’s marching show theme

The Redhawk marching band is preparing for this year’s competitive marching show. This year’s show theme, ‘Queen Bee,’ strives to highlight the talents of the band.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

From the student parking lot, football games, or competitions, the Redhawk band is hard at work on their 2022 competitive marching show.

“The theme for this year’s competitive show is ‘Queen Bee,’” associate director of bands Cecily Yokam said. “Mr. Mills [our colorguard director] has had an obsession with bees for a while now, and the more we as a band staff talked about it, the more the idea came together and it seemed like a fun theme for the show. 

The show contains musical selections from Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring,” Vivaldi’s “Spring,” Carol Brittin Chambers’ “Spring,” Stephen Melillo’s “Without Warning,” and Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” 

“We wanted to keep it light while highlighting the strengths of the band, and this definitely does this by featuring one of our two year All-State flute players, Hannah Lee, as our “Queen Bee” character,” Yoakam said. “She has solos throughout the show and is the main character focus.”

Getting to put all of their hard work in marching and playing together has become a favorite for some students.

“I love the adrenaline rush this show gives you,” sophomore Phoebe Atchley said. “I really enjoy finishing sets of the show and finally seeing our hard work come together piece by piece and celebrating our little victories as a team.”

However, the students and the environment that they create is the most important part for Yoakam.

“My favorite thing about the band this year is the students,” Yoakam said. “They are incredible. It is just fun to be around, and makes me excited every day to see what new things we will do and how far we are going so quickly. The show so far is very cool and interesting, and I love the bees, but really it is the students and the experience they are creating everyday and the environment of being with them that is making this a truly special year, and I cannot wait to see where we get by November.”

For junior Shivansh Twari, the new marching season is not only a way to improve his skills, but also to help the new marchers on the field.

“Personally, I want to play more of a guiding role this season to help our newcomers get ahead in the band,” junior Shivansh Twari said. “By sharing my experiences and advice with them, I can make sure I’m doing my part to strengthen our band as a whole. My favorite part about this year’s show has to be the music. It’s very engaging and sounds really cool, making it fun to play.”

While the band is hoping to reach a new milestone this year, their main goal is to improve themselves the best that they can.

“Our goal for the band during marching season this year is to get two percent better every day,” Yoakam said. “Our goal is always to provide students with a positive, fun, and challenging experience that they remember forever and carry lessons with them beyond the band hall. Of course, we want to be successful in competition, and make Area Finals for the first time in five years, but the main goal is that we as a band get better by a little bit every day.”