HGAP students explore religion through poster project

Rayan Mansoor

AP Human Geography students focus on analyzing the world’s cultural history and change in demographics over time. In a project about the world’s major religions including Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, students worked on informational posters hung in the hallway.

Rayan Mansoor, WTV Staff Reporter

Walking down the social studies hall is a tour through the world’s religions as posters line the walls and lockers.

AP Human Geography is a class which allows students to analyze the world’s cultural history and change in demographics over time. In pursuit of learning more about the world’s major religions including Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, students worked on informational posters hung in the hallway.

“The main objectives of the assignment is first of all to familiarize them with the core beliefs and tenets of each of these world religions,” AP Human Geography Teacher Michael Kousznetsov said. “As well as to understand the process of diffusion or how each of them have spread around the world.”

The assignment introduces students to religions and ideologies they may be interested in learning more about.

“For ours we had Judaism, so we got to learn about like synagogues,” freshman Ankith Narayana said. “I enjoyed researching about it, and like finding out about the history of how Judaism was founded, and like the troubles they had.”

Rather than a lecture or some other teacher-led lesson, the poster project allowed students to showcase their learning in a creative manner.

“I did this last year for the first time actually, and I was really impressed with the artwork and level of detail students were able to put into it,” Kousznetsov said. “I was pretty proud to hang them out in this hallway.”