DECA students aim for district leadership positions

Three+students+on+campus%2C++sophomore+Amogh+Aryan%2C+sophomore+Anvi+Saxena%2C+and+junior+Balakrishna+Ravulapalli+are+all+interested+in+district+level+DECA+leadership+roles.+The+process+to+reach+these+roles+includes+one+written+exam%2C+two+interviews%2C+and+a+speech+at+the+district+conference.+

Marcus Salmeron

Three students on campus, sophomore Amogh Aryan, sophomore Anvi Saxena, and junior Balakrishna Ravulapalli are all interested in district level DECA leadership roles. The process to reach these roles includes one written exam, two interviews, and a speech at the district conference.

Sarayu Bongale, Staff Reporter

One written exam. Two interviews. A speech at the district conference. These are all a part of the process DECA members go through to obtain a leadership position for district DECA. 

On campus three students, sophomore Amogh Aryan, sophomore Anvi Saxena, and junior Balakrishna Ravulapalli are interested in DECA leadership positions at the district level.

“I’m already an officer here at the Liberty chapter of DECA and I wanted to expand my leadership skills to district DECA,” Aryan said. “I think it’s a good opportunity for me to provide innovative ideas at a district level.”

For Saxena, her positive experiences at DECA conference in her previous year inspired her to take a major leadership role.

“DECA really helped me grow,” Saxena said. “At first, I didn’t take DECA very seriously, it was just another club for me but after going to the competition I really loved the environment and I liked what the previous officers were doing and I just want to continue that and add my own ideas to provide to my community.”

However, in order to become a district officer, members must go through a three step process and their performance during each step determines the officer position they will earn.

“Your short essay, multiple choice, your interview and your speech have a certain number of points you can earn and based on the number of points you get, you are given various positions in certain parts of the district,” Saxena said. “The more points you get, the higher position you will earn.”

Due to the complexity of the application process, DECA members seeking office find different challenges.

“Everyone has their own challenges during this process,” Aryan said. “For me personally, it’s going to be the interview because I feel like I’ll be able to do my speech and multiple choice test really well. But overall, just going through this process will be an interesting experience.”