Sophomore dives out of districts and into regionals

Wingspan Staff

• Sophomore Aubrey Henderson finished 2nd in the District 10-5A Diving Meet at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium Jan. 19 in Frisco. She competes on Monday for the chance at state.

• Sophomore Aubrey Henderson finished 2nd in the District 10-5A Diving Meet at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium Thursday in Frisco.

• “We have a saying in diving that if you have bad warm-ups, then you could be good and my warm-ups were awful. I did not get through half of the dives,” sophomore diver, Aubrey Henderson said. However things went differently for Henderson in the District 10-5A Diving Meet as the sophomore finished 2nd to advance to the regional meet Feb. 3.

Flipping and splashing, dive after dive, sophomore Aubrey Henderson and freshman Vihaan Pol tried to score a podium finish at the District 10-5A Diving meet Thursday at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium.

The day didn’t start out well for Henderson.

“We have a saying in diving that if you have bad warm-ups, then you could be good and my warm-ups were awful. I did not get through half of the dives,” Henderson said. “I was all over the place and I just knew I needed to calm down. And my last three dives were really scary dives, so I just had to kind of take a breath and check out.”

Pol didn’t advance but If his progression is anything like Henderson’s, he could be competing in the regional meet next year.

Finishing closer to 10th and 1st as a freshman, Henderson finished second Thursday, securing a bid at the Region III meet Feb. 3 in Frisco.

“Aubrey is one that if she doesn’t get it right, she continues to push and try,” coach Claudia Sunday said. “She’s always looking at ways to improve. And that’s going from zero to finishing second with a very impressive dive list.”