Art students take on VASE

Aashi Oswal

Art students are preparing for the annual Visual Art Scholastic Event at Independence High School on Saturday. Not only does this give students the opportunity to improve artistic skills but also professional experience.

Aashi Oswal, Staff Reporter

School buses are taking a different route Saturday as art students gear up to put their creative skills on display with the annual Visual Art Scholastic Event at Independence High School.

“So VASE is our big UIL art competition where we submit the best pieces that students have been working on,” art teacher Fred Rodriguez said. “It’s a huge event where schools from all different regions come together, and I’m really excited about how my students are going to do this weekend.” 

Rodriguez is currently working on helping students prepare for the upcoming competition. 

“I always offer and encourage each of my students to participate in the competition, and they work on it during class or in their free time, ensuring everything is ready for the day of competition,” Rodriguez said. “Right now, we are prepping by getting all the art pieces matted and ready for the actual event.”

The VASE competition is composed of personal interviews and a series of scored rounds. 

Last year’s competition was virtual, making this year’s event the first in person competition for many students, such as sophomore Veda Mullangi.

“So last time I did, it was completely virtual, and we just submitted everything online,” said Mullangi. “This year, I’m submitting a last minute piece, so I’m not extremely confident about it, but it’s really cool that I can be in this physical competition setting. I’m glad I can compete again so I can improve my pieces for next year because I know that the last time I competed, I have grown tremendously in my artwork, and it’s important I showcase that.”

However, Rodriguez believes that students not only improve artistic skills but also gain professional experience. 

“It really prepares them to be able to speak about their artwork, and they have to be able to explain why they made certain decisions, and those public speaking skills will help them for any career in the future,” Rodriguez said. “It also helps them in being able to meet deadlines and make and present something with confidence, especially when it can be personal.” 

Sophomore Tanushri Talla believes that regardless of the outcome on Saturday, the exposure to competition is priceless. 

“I think VASE is a good experience because it kind of pushes you out of your comfort zone,” Talla said. “Especially when you look at the things other people have accomplished in VASE it kind of motivates you to do better yourself for future competitions.”