Catholics and Protestants celebrate Ash Wednesday

Erika Pernis

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent for Catholics and Protestants. “Usually year-round I don’t get to go to church as much so when all the big events come up, like Ash Wednesday, I’m motivated to dedicate more of my time,” sophomore Addison LeBlanc said.

Christine Han, Staff Reporter

Ash Wednesday, 46 days before Easter, marks the beginning of Lent and the celebration of Jesus’ resurrection for Catholics and Protestants. 

For sophomore Mackenzie Raymond, Ash Wednesday is a special time for family and penance. 

“[My family and I] have celebrated Ash Wednesday for about 10 years,” Raymond said. “To me it means the beginning of us preparing to celebrate Jesus’ resurrection. The meaning of putting the ashes on your forehead represents the penance of one’s sins.” 

Senior Samantha Natividad and her family still find ways to participate in difficult circumstances. 

“My parents are still wary of COVID so we attend virtual masses most of the time,” Natividad said. “However since it’s Ash Wednesday we’ll still try to make time to go for at least a little bit.” 

For some students, Ash Wednesday is a time to reconnect with their faith. 

“Usually year-round I don’t get to go to church as much so when all the big events come up, like Ash Wednesday, I’m motivated to dedicate more of my time,” sophomore Addison LeBlanc said. “I enjoy participating in all of the activities and ceremonies, especially with my family and community.”