AmStud students destress from schoolwork with Art Fridays

Carsyn Tumbleson

Although the phrase “work smarter, not harder” is used to motivate someone to manage their time carefully, it only encourages toxic productivity culture. This culture can lead to anxiety and shame.

Nicholas Hamilton, WTV Staff Reporter

Taking a break from their typical classwork, students in American Studies get to share their own choice of art in front of the class. Ranging from music to video games, students have the opportunity to share a piece of art in front of the class every Friday.

“I love the different ideas that they have every year,” American Studies teacher Swapna Gardner said. “Some of the really cool ideas we have had in past years: one person explored fonts and another person explored company logos and how obsessed she was with the Pepsi logo. This year is fun because there seems to be a trend with video games and the different art of video games and the storytelling in them. So it’s been interesting to see that passion coming up this year.”

For junior Paolo Manlapaz, Art Fridays have the ability to bring students closer together.

“I think art Friday really allows us to express our interests in the class especially when we don’t usually have the opportunity to do so,” Manlapaz said. “I think it allows us to grow closer as a class and see each other as not just students, but actual people.”

Art Fridays decrease stress in the classroom, according to Junior Akash Ravandhu.

Art Friday exposes us to different art forms which we might not have seen before,” Ravandhu said. “It also makes every Friday a little less stressful.