“Ring Getters” get their rings

Girls’ basketball wins state championship

A group chat name turned into a goal for the season.

The team knew they wanted one thing: a ring.

And they got their rings on Saturday with a 57-52 win against Lubbock Cooper in the UIL 5A state tournament in San Antonio, where they were crowned state champions.

We have a group chat called ‘Ring Getters’ so from the start we knew this is where we wanted to be and we got here, and we won,

— senior Journee Harris

“From the start we were like we are going to state,” senior Journee Harris said. “We have a group chat called ‘Ring Getters’ so from the start we knew this is where we wanted to be and we got here, and we won.”

Down 11 points in the first quarter of the championship game, the Redhawks took control in the second quarter and went into the half with a 23-21 lead. 

“To make some big shots, which we did, we had to have some fortune, which we ended up going to the foul line,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “So that helped us and then of course, we slowed the game down a little bit for them offensively and started getting back on defense. We started putting Jacy [Abii] at the top of our little half court pressure, which she is an incredible athlete and that just disrupted some of that rhythm and that was able to translate to some easier offensive opportunities for us.”

Junior Keyera Roseby’s 21 points led the team in scoring, leading her to be named the game’s  MVP.

“Earning the mvp award was awesome and it made me realize all of my hard work has paid off,” Roseby said. “This team means everything to me. I love each and everyone of my teammates and coaches. I’m just so blessed to be able to share this moment with them.”

This year’s win marks a second state title for senior Jezelle Moreno, who was part of the state winning team in her freshman year. 

It feels beyond amazing to win state both my first year and last, and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity,” Moreno said. “This season was by far the most meaningful, especially after the past two years coming up short. Also personally going through this program for all 4 years to win it my last one means a lot.”

It feels beyond amazing to win state both my first year and last, and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity,

— senior Jezelle Moreno

With a record of 9-8 early in the season, the team did not let their early season challenges alter their mindset.

“Throughout the year you’re really just trying to become the best versions of yourself as possible and I knew that if we could achieve that then we would be performing pretty high and so you never get fixated on records or results,” Reedy said. “To recognize and see that we’re making progress always was optimistic about where we could be.”

Getting to Saturday’s final was a goal from the beginning for senior Za’naiha Hensley.

“Going to state was definitely a goal of mine from start to finish and I’m happy me and my team made it this far,” Hensley said. “This season has meant a lot to me as it is my last year playing basketball. I couldn’t be anymore grateful for the team that I have because they are truly my second family. I’m so glad I got to spend every second possible with them and make it all the way because I love all of them and they gave me a senior year to remember.”

While most varsity teams are composed of mainly upperclassmen, the Redhawks have thrived with the addition of younger players.

“To see some of our young players come in and get to know and build chemistry with our older kids who have been here and have a ton of experience and great maturity and leadership,” Reedy said. “And see them work through the adversity that was set before them and triumph in that way. That’s the enjoyment.”

Winning state as a freshman is an unforgettable experience for Lilian Johnson.

To see some of our young players come in and get to know and build chemistry with our older kids who have been here and have a ton of experience and great maturity and leadership – That’s the enjoyment,

— coach Ross Reedy

“As a freshman, it is very exciting to win state,” Johnson said. “Coming into the year I had no expectations. I didn’t even know how playoffs worked. I’m super glad we were able to come together and pull it off. This season has made me very excited for next year but I’ll definitely miss the seniors and people who aren’t returning to the program.”

One of the top freshmen in the state, Jacy Abii knows the bar will be high next year, but she’s ready for the challenge. 

“I guess it set the bar really high and set a lot of people’s expectations really high,” Abii said. “I am hoping we can try to get to state next year. I know we will have a completely different team so I don’t want to get my hopes too high but I honestly think we could accomplish the same thing if we work really hard.”