April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

The Fresh Perspective: life skills education should be required in schools

Lea Garcia-Salazar
In this weekly blog, The Fresh Perspective, staff reporter Lea Garcia-Salazar talks about school opinions.

Although traditional school subjects such as math, English, history, and science provide the foundation for learning, the lack of mandatory life skills in education demands recognition. A world with challenges and opportunities is ever-changing. It is crucial to fill the educational system’s significant gaps. These gaps can be filled by recognizing that memorizing mathematical equations and historical dates won’t suffice in the real world. To prepare students to navigate adult life, the education system should incorporate mandatory life skills education in schools.

Life skills education encourages personal life skills that prepare students to deal with various hurdles. Life skills education courses would include lessons on time management, money management, SEL, employability skills, etc. 

Education should provide students with practical knowledge that can easily be applied in the real world. Skills such as communication, problem-solving, and financial literacy have real-world relevance and application. Real-world relevance makes learning more engaging, and meaningful. 

Once students notice how skills apply to their everyday lives and personally evaluate an idea, they are more motivated to learn the material. This leads to a more engaging school environment. 

Teaching life skills in classrooms also provides meaningful learning opportunities. While still abiding by the course curriculum, students can greatly benefit from having an instructor who shares personal experiences with skills like taxes, employability, etc. 

Life skills education would also foster communication and interaction. Prevalent communication issues lead to social and behavioral problems for many students. Their inability to communicate effectively makes them feel misunderstood leading to self-isolation, temper tantrums, or other behavioral issues.

Encouraging students to learn communication skills will help them respect the opinions of others while speaking assertively. Learning this life skill will enable students to empathize with those around them while preventing misinterpretation, miscommunication, and overreaction. Having the ability to communicate effectively helps students build healthy relationships with both their friends and family. 

Practicing life skills can also improve a student’s self-esteem.

Having the ability to learn useful, new skills changes the physical structure of the brain through improving brain health and memory. Learning any skill instills a sense of pride and accomplishment and further helps students make the most of their lives. Students will feel more confident in their ability to do tasks such as cooking, cleaning, communicating, etc. 

A study conducted by OnePoll concluded that 17% of college graduates polled still don’t know how to cook or do their laundry. 26% feel lost when it comes to basic apartment maintenance. 81% of respondents agreed they wish they were taught more life skills before graduating college. 

Starting life skills education early would help students feel more confident performing tasks such as cooking, cleaning, investment, long-term financial planning, student loan debt management, etc. 

The education system cannot expect students to be prepared for life by learning solely traditional school subjects. Although they are essential, they won’t suffice. Life skills education provides meaningful learning opportunities, an engaging school environment, foster communication, and increases student’s self-esteem.