April 29 Daily Update
April 29 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • April 29, 2024

WTV's Kathryn Murphy brings you today's news and announcements including early voting ending, closed advisory, and this week's edition of trivia.

Videogame Volumes: Bonelab

Vaughn Perez
In this weekly column, Wingspan staff writes about the gaming and esports community.

Virtual reality (VR) has been on the rise and is used for a lot of things, such as work, teaching, and video games. VR games have been made before, but one game that has come out will probably change the VR scene for years to come; that game is Bonelab.

In Bonelab, players control a peasant who has been banished and is about to be executed. However, before being executed, a knife materializes that will allow the player to cut the rope, and free themselves from the execution. After cutting the rope, the player falls into a pit filled with the bones of those who have been executed before. 

As you progress through the game, players must uncover the identity of the person who saved them, discover the mysteries surrounding the world, and find a way to return home. The storyline of Bonelab challenges players to achieve these goals.

Bonelab has four main features that have made the game amazing: physics, the AI system, driving, and the avatar system. 

Physics: The Bonelab physics system is one of the best in any VR game I’ve played. Everything has a weight to it. For example, if you were to throw a cup, it would go far, but if you were to throw a crowbar, it would not go that far because it is heavy. 

AI system: The AI in this game is both simultaneously the best and worst in any VR game I have played. On the positive side, it excels in providing a realistic combat experience. For example, when you target an enemy’s leg, that enemy will become weaker, forcing them to adapt their movements to continue attacking you. However, the AI has its drawbacks. The non-player characters (NPCs) can be frustrating as they are prone to glitching and getting stuck on objects. 

Driving system: The driving is one of the biggest things in the game. While driving systems in other games can be glitchy, Bonelab’s driving is smooth and realistic.

Avatars: The avatar system is very customizable. From five avatar options or access to custom avatars that players can make or download from the internet, the options are limitless. Players can also customize their avatar’s strengths and weaknesses; every avatar is unique. 

Bonelab is an amazing game. The only problem is that it is a little buggy, and the game feels unfinished, but maybe that was their goal. The game is about creation-building, so maybe it will be something better in the future of the game so it gets a 9.5/10.