• April 26 is a bad weather make-up day (if needed)
  • Prom tickets are on sale, and the dance is on April 13

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/28 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nick Smith.
Featured Athlete: Nick Smith
Lilian Johnson, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing baseball? Smith:”I...

View All
April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

Two subjects-one class, the GT Humanities experience

Provided by Judith Aluga
Some freshmen and sophomores on campus are a part of GT Humanities, where freshmen earn an Advanced English 1 credit, and sophomores earn an AP World History credit. This two year course taught by Sarah Wiseman and Elizabeth Evans, takes a different approach at learning than most classes.

Two grade levels, two different subjects: one class. That’s the structure of GT Humanities where freshmen earn an Advanced English 1 credit, and sophomores earn an AP World History credit. Combining the two subjects with two teachers, Sarah Wiseman, and Elizabeth Evans, take material to a different level than most classes. 

“I think what’s more challenging about Humanities than your typical English or History class is just the rigor of the readings we do,” Evans said. “We not only have a college textbook that we’re reading, we have to analyze a lot of primary sources and literature from different cultures that can be difficult. Students really have to think abstractly.”

Such a change is new to the students with some such as freshman Karthika Menon adjusting to the new experience.

“Humanities has been my most difficult course, as the combination of English and AP World History causes the content to be harder to understand,” Menon said. “ As a freshman, it is a very different environment from middle school GT, but the new level of comprehension is interesting.”

After her initial fear of the course , Anagha Konuru now enjoys the discussions and the interactions within it.

“Something I really like about it is the open discussion, especially when we get to work in groups together to come up with practice assertions or brainstorm ideas,” Konoru said. “It’s really nice to share thoughts with people while learning, and it can help me stay on track as well. My writing skills have also improved a lot compared to before.”

As sophomores like Konoru move on from their freshman year and participate in the course again, Evans believes one of the greatest things seen within the class is the often positive change in students’ work and skills the following year.

“One thing that’s great about our class is that as we cycle through our skills freshman year, and then go back through them sophomore year, growth can really be seen in the students,” Evans said. “Compared to when they were maybe just hanging on at the beginning of 9th grade,  during sophomore year students can really start to shine. In general, we find that this class instills resilience in a student, as well as thinking patterns that can further assist them in their academic career.”