2023 Teacher of the Year Nominee: Beth Evans

Every teacher has their philosophy for teaching.

For Teacher of the Year nominee Beth Eevans it’s focused on the students.

has to do with, number one, creating an environment where students come in and they feel welcome. they feel cared for,

— 2023-24 Teacher of the Year Nominee Beth Evans

“Well, my teaching philosophy is totally student centered,” Evans said. “So it has to do with, number one, creating an environment where students come in and they feel welcome. they feel cared for, they feel like seeing that there, that I am their biggest fan, like I’m rooting for them to succeed. What I want to see is their success, that I believe that they can, that they can do it.”

For Evans, teaching is more than just standing in front of a class.

“You know, it’s so much more than just standing in front of a class presenting a lesson,” Evans said. “So I think to be seen by your colleagues also shows that they’re aware of, you know, all that I put into what I’m doing, even outside of just the day to day with the kids’ interaction. so that was good.”

For sophomore Gilbert Aluga, having that teacher student relationship makes him want to achieve more. 

“I think for most students, including myself, just having a personal connection, just regardless of anything, having a personal connection with someone you’re working with,” Aluga said. “In this case it’s a student teacher relationship. so just her like knowing you, even just a bit more than someone normally would, it’s like, oh, I’m going to i’m more inclined to like, try to really want to do better in her class, so, yeah.”

Evans taking the time to connect with her students is what makes the difference for sophomore Neha Ramachandran.

She takes the time to connect with almost every student in the class,

— sophomore Neha Ramachandran

“She takes the time to connect with almost every student in the class,” Ramachandran said. “She comes around, talks with each student, interacts with students. and even though both the teachers have so many students, Ms. Evans and Ms.Wiiseman as well, both of them make make it their goal to talk with all the students. and if you go up to Ms. Evans during advisory and ask her any questions or advice on your work, then she takes the time to look through it, gives valuable advice and always leaves you with something to improve on, which is really important.”