• The 2024-25 school year begins Aug. 12
  • Wingspan is on summer break until August

Love, Haley: is it Christmas time now?

Haley Ward
In this weekly blog, senior Haley Ward shares a little bit of everything: deep dives on her favorite topics, her fashion favorites, and how to make the most out of your high school years.

It’s November first and the Halloween season is officially over, but does that mean it is time to start celebrating the holiday season? It is always a popular debate whether or not people should embrace Christmas music, movies, and decorations right after Halloween. 

Should people wait until December first? Until after Thanksgiving? Here’s my two cents on the topic.

I feel like Thanksgiving and the holidays go hand-in-hand. I think it’s very normal to listen to Christmas music during Thanksgiving time, while still enjoying Thanksgiving for what it is. I do not think listening to Christmas music takes away from Thanksgiving, but just makes it better. For some reason this year I have been so ready for the holiday season. I started listening to Christmas music this morning the moment I got in my car.

The holidays truly do bring a lot of joy to a lot of people. I think I started listening to Christmas music today because it just puts me in a good mood. There are so many good memories and feelings surrounding this music, so it makes sense why a lot of people would want to spend more than a month listening to it. 

My family usually decorates our house for Christmas during Thanksgiving break, but we usually put up our Christmas tree December first. November is still fall, so we usually keep fall decorations up for the majority of the month. 

Some people believe when you start celebrating too early, by the time it hits Christmas you will be bored of the music, decorations, and movies. But I think you just get to enjoy the season longer. I do not think you should have holiday decorations up before Halloween, but after Halloween is over, thinking about another big holiday gives people something to look forward to.

Christmas and all of the other winter holidays bring joy to a lot of people, so why not celebrate them for as long as you can? While I understand people wanting to wait until December to celebrate, I think it is perfect to start celebrating right now in November!

Love, Haley